One of the most essential essay for which higher education students
writing skills are being tested is a critical thinking essay. As critical thinking essays
involve philosophical thoughts; therefore, the students have to be very precise and concise in
delivering their critical thoughts effectively. Students should have their expertise on the
following 3 writing skills in order to write critical thinking essays:
- Gathering Crucial Points: Students would be able to gather the main
points for their essay if they have command on the followin
- Facts: Collecting information which is true and reliable.
- Claims: Developing strong propositions in order to explain the topic of
- Presuppositions: Implication of facts, principles and arguments
- Evidence: Be able to come with the proofs that support the hypothetical
- Argument: Developing arguments which should be comprised of reasons
that support the conclusions. The reasons include evidence, principles, assumptions
& logical inferences while conclusion includes facts, judgments and recommendations.
- Theory: Be able to explain the entire topic. For e.g. if the topic is
“French Revolution”; the students should explain its origin,
development, outcome and importance with the help of arguments and knowledge altogether.
- Rhetoric: Deliver the points in a way that pursue and communicate the
- Utilizing the primary and secondary sources efficiently: All primary
and secondary sources would help students to analyze the facts, theories and historical
evidences regarding their critical thinking essay topics crafted by people in the past:.
Here is the list of core primary and secondary sources that the students should make use
of in order to explore their writing skills while writing a critical thinking essay:
- Critical Analysis: It involves the critical questions that students
have to answer in order to come up with strong critical thinking essays> The question
may be as follow:
- What should I say about the topic?
- Which is the best for me to approach my critical thinking
- How can I craft a good thesis for my essay?
- How should I relate my thesis with main points of my essay?
- How should I list down the facts to explore the big picture?
In a nutshell, there are loads of elements that the students should incorporate in order to
justify their critical thinking essay writing skills efficiently.